Sunday, April 5, 2026

Chocolate Eggs


In keeping with an egg theme, I thought I'd share my weird little habit. Whenever I'm in Europe I pick up a few Kinder surprise eggs. Sometimes Kinder "schokoladen". Europe permits the sale of the ones with really small parts and tiny stickers rather than figurines.

I can see how they would be a choking hazard but I was never tempted to eat anything but the chocolate as a child. They still smell the same and I immediately get a memory of childhood. There's a method to unwrapping them. The foil is peeled off the chocolate egg split in half the little plastic container is pried open or squeezed to open.

The newer ones have some fairly elaborate engineering with moving parts that don't fit together as one would imagine. I try figuring out the various mechanisms without instructions and time myself. The Avatar dragon had a printed piece of fabric that went between the parts that snap together than hook into little hooks. I don't collect them but they're fun.

The chocolate is worse, but my inner child is having fun.

6 comments:

  1. I bought Kinder Surprise eggs for my two youngest grandchildren recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Codex it's a great little gift combines chocolate with crafting and playing.

      Delete
  2. Kind of like the new Cracker Jacks, a toy in every box. The toys were great when I was a kid but devolved into uninteresting crap by the time I was an adult. Money saving change? Probably, but not nearly as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Codex there was no toy in cracker Jack's when I grew up. Look at the European kinder surprise on youtube and you'll see what I mean. For a buck they get little wind up cars. Really neat stuff for kids. Think parents enjoy it just as much.

      Delete
    2. Do an image search for vintage cracker jack toys.

      Delete
    3. Codex: All I see are plastic pendants. Anyway these are fun. Long live cheap crap. :)

      Delete

Tested gravity. Yup. Its still there.

 Careful everyone. Gravity has increased. Took a bit of a tumble which is not blogworthy but... For the last two weeks people have been disc...