Thursday, May 7, 2026

Ignorance is not Bliss: Brotherhoods

 How do beliefs in secret societies happen?

Coco is an aquaintance who asked me for advice regarding her son who is on his path to a career in physics. I quite enjoy conversations with him, but Coco is the first person ever whom I had to quickly cut out of anything.

On occasion she would call to ask about some scientific discovery presumably so she could relate to her son. Then she'd escalate into a verbal argument. Among the least important is the fun fact that torties and calico cats are always female (males exist but it's very rare and they're a genetic abnormality.) Coco did not believe me.

Then came her asking me about the Illuminati. I told her that it was an invention by Dan brown. No they existed based on the low quality program she'd seen on television. 

Brotherhood fraternities organizations like the freemasons have always existed. They serve many purposes. The masons kept their trade secrets and passed them on to their members  the same way today's tech companies try to protect their intellectual properties and patents.

World domination isn't plotted because any business "family" is highly competitive, however deals are sometimes made at these networking meetings. 

Humans love mysteries and stories. Galileo met with other scientists to discuss ideas and discoveries often secretly, because the Church feared that a heliocentric solar system would undermine its power. At most they "conspired" to get scientific facts into the world. That he was a member of some secret society plotting to take over the world is a lot more fun to believe in.

Of course movies like National treasure with Nic Cage fuel the imagination instead of just being seen as a fun Indiana Jones type of movie.

 Fiction based on a few kernels of fact becomes even greater fiction and the less than mediocre people on this planet have finally been given the internet platform to read and believe these conspiracy theories and myths with an arrogance that they did not have before.

This is part of what happened over the last decade in particular. As to Coco turned out that she has a history of being craycray. Here's a good article on this phenomenon.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170809-the-accidental-invention-of-the-illuminati-conspiracy

I always try to see the best in people as well as their potential, but I recently decided that I'm not doing it anymore. Let people die in ignorance as long as they don't impose their bats..t on to me.




2 comments:

  1. I discovered too late in life the joy of letting others have the last word. There's no convincing some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Codex I've had a reverse experience. I would shrug these people off, but also didn't come across them that much. Now?
      I crave the days were I could just small talk the weather.
      If you only knew what nonsense I've had to listen to.

      Delete

Movie reviews

 A few recent watches and movie reviews with no spoilers. Hopefully. -Geostorm Neat idea. Excellent cgi. Action flick that is a lot of fun. ...