Saturday, August 15, 2026

Climate River Danube, heatwave and interesting website

 Geography is not within my area of expertise. Anytime we learned about major rivers around the world I would get distracted by the neat patterns that rivers make on a map.

Nature is very artistic. Rivers look like horizontal lightning bolts...I digress every time geography is involved.

The NYT used to be a good paper that I would read but the headline was "Europe's rivers are dying". Sensational garbage that sounds like a trash paper. The best of bad journalism.

The Danube runs through Europe. I'm sure everyone has seen the Nuclear power plant being shut off in Bulgaria (to cool it off), the rivers running so low that a nazi ship and mammoth fossils were exposed. (Never thought I'd put those two in the same sentence).



Obviously this is not good, but when a river that joins up the north sea to the black sea dries up this severely in just one summer it's often due to meddling with natural waterways. Low an behold part of it was artificially constructed to join the two in the 1990s.

It reminded me of similar issues with the Colorado river.

It will refill in the fall and winter, so it's far from "dying". This fear mongering is scaring people, who end up doing nothing about it. 

We all share this climate.


https://edition.cnn.com/2026/08/05/climate/europe-rivers-record-lows-satellite-space-rhine-danube

Here's a new website

https://www.climate.us/news-features/feed/climateus-launches-independent-website-trusted-climate-information

Here's the Amanpour interview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OMhD51xyeps



Please no mention of politicians




1 comment:

  1. I do get concerned about the water consumption of the Data Centers, they use a lot and so areas like a Desert aren't ideal places for such things to be built. And yet, we have more in Metro Phoenix already than most other parts of the Nation, go figure. Nature usually finds a way to rebound from what our Species does that cocks things up. But I sure with we would all be better Stewards of the Natural World we inhabit and share with all other Sentient Beings.

    ReplyDelete

Movie Review of Devs we live in a simulation

 We finished watching Garlands Devs. Spoilers ahead that aren't spoilers because the show tells the viewer what will happen by episode 2...