I recently came across an article in which a car company had used ai chat instead of a salesperson to sell cars. A customer negotiated the legally binding price down to a dollar.
Sometimes funny but often utterly unusable. If i need to ask a more in depth question, it responds with answers that have nothing to do with my question.
I needed to figure something out and googled it. AI gave me the following response:
"I am the title of a flyer."
Existential. Why it isn't programmed to say this response is based on a flyer is beyond me.
Google used to work reasonably well a decade ago and continued to improve. Now numerous complaints about its lack of reliability.
After I published this post, I was looking for some shows to watch.
Startreks new show came recommended but apparently there are some episodes that are horror which I am not in the mood for. I asked a second question so I could skip the horror ones, (which episodes are horror in ST), it gave me horror scifi shows instead.
When i repeated that I was talking about startrek...AI actually blamed me for not realizing that this was the same question.
Well, AI has learned all it knows from People... and so really, are we so surprised it can be Stupid, error filled, confusing, hilariously ill informed? I think not. The thing I dislike most is it isn't a Human Being so it has no Conscience or Emotional input, so, when asked certain Questions, that could be dire or eliminate Lives, there is no barrier to it just making a decision that is unemotional and has absolutely no Conscience about what it's telling us to do, or deciding to do coz it's just Programmed to do it. I think the bombing of that Girl's School in Iran was probably relying on AI more than Humans... I could be Wrong... but it begs the Question, was it? And is this why so many Children were slaughtered and a huge initial Wartime Mistake made?
ReplyDeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteLLMs are just mirrors. Think of it that way. It could have been programmed not to sound like us. I love technology but LLMs just creep me out.
I want robots to be robots. I don't want to think it's a slave. It's a machine nothing more. Like a roomba.
Codex@Bo
ReplyDeleteVery good explanation
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2026/mar/26/ai-got-the-blame-for-the-iran-school-bombing-the-truth-is-far-more-worrying
Basically all of these systems are AI but fast computing is a different type of AI.
A friend used the phrase "feck and alas" in one of her blog posts. Not hard to get the gist of it's meaning but just for fun I googled it anyway. After the AI gave me the definition and reference it told me I sounded unhappy and depressed and to tell it about it and maybe it could help. Yeah, no. First of all not unhappy or depressed but second, even if I was I would not be asking an AI to help with my mental health.
ReplyDeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteThis is what I got:
"Are you just exploring fun vocabulary, or did something go wrong today that demands a bit of dramatic venting?"
If you recall my old posts this is what I was concerned about. Now it's here. Even humans aren't this annoying in real life.
Codex
ReplyDeletePeople need to complain to the company trust me on this and thanks for the eg.