We finished watching Garlands Devs.
Spoilers ahead that aren't spoilers because the show tells the viewer what will happen by episode 2.
Good:
It's an arthouse movie (8 episodes). The cinematography is so beautiful I paused it just to look. Same with the musical score.
Bad:
The science is wrong. It mixes up everything about quantum Physics as one theory then applies it to human lives.
Wrote about it two posts ago as I had a feeling. Garland is a gifted writer director but he is also a horror writer.
I personally think that in this case the creepiness was too much and unecessary.
Devs is not as profound as it makes itself to be. An insane big tech entrepreneur named Forest who doesn't care about anyone but himself. The obvious juxtaposition of cold computer tech vs. Beautiful old growth forests. The contradiction of a deterministic universe vs. Free will and choices feels clumsy.
The influence of religion on everything the tech bros do. in devs, when most are agnostic or atheist in real life (as is garland).
It's confusing because everything from quantum ai, religion metaphysics grief is thrown together only to end up in a simulation.
I think that devs doesn't warn or predict. If I think about the current messy state of the world, Devs works as a reflection if it.
In the sense that what the tech sector pretends to achieve cannot actually be done.
I do think it's worth watching but it's not as good as Annihilation or Ex Machina.
No comments:
Post a Comment