Wednesday, June 3, 2026

Tech future?

 The other day I watched a dumb scifi movie in which the final scene is a monster that roars up. What wasn't clear is whether it had snatched up a spacecraft which would have made it gimmicky. Spouse and I could not see the ship.

I'm not mentioning the title so as not to spoil it for those who might watch it. It had a very interesting figure out what was going on with the paradox of time travel aspect to it.

I googled the question. Did the monster swallow the ship? The response was yes with a lengthy explanation. Then I looked at some discussion groups that were human. No it had not. I looked it up on wiki. Also no. Then I tried AI again. This time a completely different answer and summary, mirroring what I'd just been looking at. AI gave me a no this time.

This is but a small example of something irrelevant but the amount of misinformation in important matters is much worse. LLM has not been programmed to distinguish fact from personal opinion from marketing. Especially in science.

In addition I came across a quote:

First we steal your creative endeavors and your intellectual property. Then we sell it back to you at a price.

Here's a good article:

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2026/06/ai-costs-how-much-github-copilot-users-react-to-new-usage-based-pricing-system/

Hollywood has already fought for this a few years back, but I've been watching videos where it's becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish real from fake. A cat doing unusual things is amazing, an AI doing the same is just a cartoon.

I came across an article by an environmental group that claimed that digital technology is doing more environmental damage in a shorter period of time than fossil fuels.

Either way. Most people dont appear to be taking this problem seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've seen that quote before. Isn't that what capitalism is all about? And if bydigital technology you mean data centers, no shit. Their water and energy demands are outrageous. Serious question, how has all this AI made things better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Codex no. Capitalism is competition with regulation in place. Doesn't always work but right now it's third world governing.

      Ai works very well for programming to cut out the mundane repetitive tasks. Everything else it can't currently do. The data centers are a big problem. But we are replacing one toxic resource with another one in the middle of climate change. All the metals needed need to be mined.

      Have a look at EU regulation on AI. They're also claiming water as an economic resource. Clever in a world that doesn't care about environment.

      Delete

Climate change heatwaves chernobyl

 This is a brief post on a very big topic and my frustration with current events. Working in other countries gave me an appreciation what a ...