Monday, June 29, 2026

The mandela effect

 Is a new term that I am coming across with more frequency.

Some meme is making the rounds that the monopoly man didn't wear a monocle. AI is telling me that no. Never.

I played monopoly as a kid. I specifically remember that he did because I asked my dad how it stayed put as it was the first time that I'd seen one.

Lo and behold:



I don't really care that it was older games from the UK or a difference in printing or editions. It's a trivial question for trivia.

I do care that we are told not to trust our memories or senses. Chocolate that doesn't taste the same because the formula contains more sugar and chocolate flavor instead of cocoa is "nostalgia". 

It's a type of brainwashing. Around 2015 a meme about is the dress white and gold or blue and white made the rounds. Even the geeks offered explanations on color saturation and lighting. There were clearly two images.

People who are susceptible lie. A show which was restarted the xfiles, no longer held it's original charm, became very satirical, but had a very good episode called the lost art of forehead sweat. Here is a great summary 4 minutes where Dr. They explains this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z-EfEaFWh3w

It does matter.


2 comments:

  1. I also remember the Monopoly Man wearing a monocle. I had to look up the Mandela Effect. I think perhaps some of these 'false' memories is not that they are false but that whatever they are remembering was so long ago and changed in the interim that most people don't remember what it was or, in this case, AI just being wrong. AI is supposed to be infallible so if actual people remember something, the people must be wrong.

    But memory is a strange and malleable thing. My siblings and I often remember the same thing differently. And then there's the whole we make our own reality. Are we really remembering differently or are we remembering the reality we created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Codex I agree with you that old memories pertaining to a situation can be fallible. However in this case it's not just ai but people meming about it.
    Simply mentioning that there were several versions of this game is preferable to convincing people that it never existed.
    Ai is "reading" this somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Science research the bad the good and the ugly

  Study 5 years for two degrees Study 5 more for PhD Join lab, start working Spend years studying problem Form hypothesis, gather evidence. ...