Sunday, July 12, 2026

Color vision Tetrachromacy

 Neurodivergence is a non medical term used mostly in sociology and psychology. It's unfortunate because it should include people whose brains have aptitudes that gives them better processing than others. Think mozart when it comes to music or Michelangelo in art.

Color vision is among those. Science continues to make new discoveries based on what we can measure. Tetrachromacy is having extra cones (a fourth) which enables seeing more colors than is average. Its X linked so 10% of women have it. Males have it as well but it's very rare. I suspect that famous artists male or female had it and chose to go into art as a result. Most humans are trichromatic. About 2% of males and 10% of females are tetrachromatic.

I have it. At the time I grew up it was not known so people around me didn't understand that when they saw beige, I saw beige with a green tinge to it. As a child when my parents decorated my room in primary colors they initially could not understand why I hated it. The wrong color (as I perceive it) irritates me.

A black cat to me doesn't exist. I see the rust brown in its fur without requiring direct sunlight. Virtually all deeply saturated red roses to me have a bluish tint to them as well.

I've stopped giving advice on wall paint; there is no point telling someone that the beige they've chosen has a pink tone to it if they cannot see it anyway.

This article is quite good and really resonated.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20140905-the-women-with-super-human-vision

Industries have long employed people with senses that are above average. The food industry has taste tasters who have more taste buds. The perfume industry employs people who can smell more notes to develop perfumes. And so on.

heres a parrot displaying its color vision:

https://youtube.com/shorts/EaNMdrPmpMk

I am a bird.

6 comments:

  1. Clever little paraquet. I wonder how much training went into that. I wonder if the little bird sees the colors the same as we do.

    I'm quite sure I'm trichromatic. In fact I eschewed color completely even before starting to do etched glass as the drawings I produced before then were black and white pen and ink. Many etched glass artists would paint their panels afterward but I never did. It wasn't until I started doing the pate de verre cast glass that I used color. And now late in life I paint and draw with colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Codex
    I've had little parrots they learn quickly and enjoy it. Who knows what they see.

    Thought you'd be tetra.

    Did you see the previous post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually know if I'm tri or tetra. I think I can detect small difference in color that other people can't but I also think that's because I pay attention. I think probably the most important thing I learned in my drawing class from the professor who was a successful painter was how to look and see what I was looking at. Not just look at a leaf, for example, and see a leaf, but see all the ways that leaf was different from other leaves.

      Delete
    2. I went back to it Did you see my current post?

      Delete
  3. It's innate. Then comes the training. Codex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.s. took 2 days for your comment to show up. Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Publishing and a little ai

 Around 2000, science colleagues of mine had the idea to start a book club. Obviously I joined as I needed some of the arts in my life. I ha...