Sunday, July 12, 2026

Murderbot phenomenon. Neurodiversity. Neuroinclusivity

 I just finished watching the series. I have not read the books and no matter how good I  probably won't because they are contributing to a problem. The books were first published in 2017 around the same time that I started to notice that everyone was self diagnosing with adhd autism spectrum ptsd trauma and so on.

I only know that Wells has a BA in Anthropoligy has won numerous awards (Hugo and nebula) and based on some of the discussion threats her books are helping people accept themselves. They are also traumatizing victims.

Damn.

Murderbot is not a robot. It's a genetically engineered human with wetware (implants) and superpowers. Giving a security machine the ability to feel physical pain is implausible.

Back to armchair psychology. Around 2017 a physicist who is popular on social media and educates with millions of followers claimed that he had adhd because he listens to music while working out mathematical problems. That's not adhd, it's attention seeking. Lots of people listen to music to exclude background noise and to help them focus.

Two years ago something was circulating that adhd people also have a strong sense of justice. One has nothing to do with the other; it's comparing an apple to a car.

This is dangerous because it takes resources away from people who have a medical condition. 

It also puts women back into the stone age with its all in their head. The wife of a friend was diagnosed with all kinds of mental health issues for fatigue and depression in her thirties. By the time someone took her seriously she almost didn't win her fight against the big C.

What often happens is that people who suffer from A and D. Diagnose others with the same in search of kindred spirits. It's an impossible selfish self absorbed disease. The anecdote that I will share: I attended a conference in 2015. Lively discussion afterward. A young student stood at the same table and interrupted: you look very sad, she said. I had a really bad headache so I suppose it showed. It was inappropriate and made every one uncomfortable. 

As to the new term of neurodiversity? Again. It's being misused by lay people. To use murderbots eg. Some people are shy, introverted don't make eye contact. Nothing wrong with them. They're personality traits of individual personalities. I mentioned in the past that ALL scientists have obsessive compulsive traits. It's an asset from birth. Can't solve it the first 20 times? OC traited people keep trying until they do.

Teachers can be the worst. Classes get bigger and teachers can no longer spend time with students who are hyperactive. The labels can stick and destroy. Many students can't sit still. So what?

Online im seeing a lot of lay people psychoanalysis. Its detrimental. Ive gotten into arguments and will not be back on those blogs. In real life i have friends asking me to diagnose others. Sometimes a jerk is just a jerk. Sometimes a rebellious teen is just exploring where they fit in. 

Countless examples. 

Focusing on fixing people with whom nothing is wrong is preventing fixing the societal problems that are causing mental health issues to begin with.




2 comments:

  1. I had to look up Murderbot, hadn't heard of it, but then we don't have AppleTV.

    My totally uneducated opinion is that neurodiversity is NORMAL. There is not just one 'normal' in human beings. For some reason every little thing that is different about people has been turned into a syndrome that needs fixing. I understand that there are some things that do impact a person negatively and if they can get relief from that great. But to use your example, the kid that can't sit still, that's normal and probably just a phase of growing up. It does not need to be medicated. I get that teachers are overwhelmed but the kids are not the problem, our underfunded crowded classrooms are the problem. This unacceptance of the normal range of behaviors and methods of learning is not helping. What would help is learning to accommodate all the ways that humans are, helping them know themselves instead of telling them they are defective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Codex
      Well, you're intuition is correct. It's deeply troubling. Are we all supposed to be the same?

      I couldn't agree more. The question is why are we going backward?

      Murderbot is good very popular but pushes anxiety and depression. He's an android. Makes no sense.

      I miss Startrek and Sagan.

      Delete

Climate change heatwaves chernobyl

 This is a brief post on a very big topic and my frustration with current events. Working in other countries gave me an appreciation what a ...