A friend of mine never went to university but is very smart and managed an auto didactic education in chemistry biochemistry and natural health. He sometimes didn't understand the basics and distrusted anything corporate.
One of our conversations involved antiperspirant. He told me that he was using a crystal because aluminum causes cancer.
No it doesn't. How are you using a crystal?
It's a stick. You apply it the same.
What's it made out of?
All natural. Potassium aluminum sulfate.
That's an aluminum salt. You're using the pure mineral.
I told him that my corporate antiperspirant contained aluminum chlorydrate also an aluminum salt, but a weaker one. Diluted with additives for scent, oils for glideability, antimicrobial etc. After undergoing a lot of quality control and testing to reduce irritation. Basically his natural stick was putting more aluminum onto his skin at 18 bucks a stick compared to my run of the mill one.
He's smart and when he fell for the unregulated natural health sector he had consumed so much omega369 oils that he admitted it had made him overweight and ill. When it came to my friend we could agree to disagree or come out wiser and more knowledgeable.
In the last decade ignorance has gotten worse. Keep people ignorant and you can sell them anything. The aggression with which people share their pov has gotten much worse based on what they read online.
Although it makes me unhappy, spouse, my voice of reason, told me that I need to accept that consideration, kindness and knowledge are on hold. It's okay to go after "useless" scientists now. That governments are campaigning against universities to cut funding and research and to turn it over to corporate interests is something that people care as little about as they did about climate change forty years ago . If the public doesn't know, it won't advocate.
I was thinking about about a good example when the universe gave me one.
There is a hybrid cafe/variety store that I grab a few items from. Sometimes I sit outside for a bit before walking back. I just purchased something so I do not need to consume anything more. It's family run and the owner Linda loves to chat and tell me about conspiracy theories as well as her opinions. Sometimes I correct her, sometimes I don't bother.
I've had to listen to her tell me that the guy who owned an island had been spotted in Dubai (TikTok says). Her indifference to synthetic food replacing more expensive meat products or cocoa for the same price. Despite being a second generation immigrant she voted against herself. I told her about the lack of measures against heat waves. She told me she didn't care if people suffer and it's not the government's responsibility. (Actually, it is). I gave up.
I sat outside for a bit to unwind. The waiter, a new kid, asked if I wanted anything. I'll just sit here for a few minutes. Can't sit here if you don't order anything. Seriously? I just bought something. I wasn't in the mood to explain (i had longcovsssh so i still get sudden fatigue), so I left. He stood up to follow. You could have just asked he said (im also done owing anyone common courtesy when they have none). He wanted an argument I wasn't going to give him one. I wish you bad luck, I said.
He became scared. His belligerence stopped. He was trying to get me to lift the curse. Not how it works, i said. You were mean, i added as i walked away. In his world superstition ruled over science and just being a decent human being.
This is how we got here.
I made the decision recently to go against my nature and stop educating. There's no point. People want to believe what they read, even if it's wrong and not a day goes by when I don't have to listen to a flat earth moment.
This country has definitely gotten meaner. Too many people take their cue from you know who, take it as permission to be their worst selves. Does it make them feel better about themselves to be mean to complete strangers? And caring about people now equates to communism. It's appalling how many and how ignorant and how mean our population has become., how many don't care that people are suffering. But didn't you participate as well, wishing the kid bad luck when you could have said nothing and just moved on or wished him an open heart?
ReplyDeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteNo.ellen.its beyond that now. This kid wouldn't have gotten it. His job depends on customer service and tips. I've seen this countless times recently; they learn this from social media and influences. He acted as if he owned the place.
What I did got through to him. He'll think twice before he does it to another customer. If good behavior isn't taught at home then the public has to do it.
I've also reached my limit in general.
There is a lack of respect from these young punks toward adults and the elderly in particular.
ReplyDeleteCarl
Well, I agree with you on that and I do think that the 'village' needs to call out bad behavior in public. There's an unearned sense of entitlement rampant in this country and I see a lot of it on SM, particularly aimed at people in my age group and they are rude about it. We do not owe anyone our jobs or our homes contrary to what some of the younger generations think who apparently had everything handed to them just because they exist. Home schooling is a root cause of the ignorance and it gets handed down when those kids homeschool their kids. I read posts of adults who were homeschooled by bigoted parents who only teach their kids their whitewashed version of history and science and now have to relearn everything they were taught and then only if they realize everything they were taught is a lie. I don't know where this country goes from here after decades of defunding public education and the coddling of children to their detriment.
ReplyDeleteCodex
DeleteI was thinking about your Bible thumping yoga lady. They were few and far between.
In cities it's gotten really bad. The boys run around with expensive labels (probably fake). Their ridiculous man purses. They go on sm load a video with their opinion. All of that is fine.
What's different is that they think that they should be manager at 20, rich and famous influencer by 21.
What do you mean they aim it at boomers?
Codex
Delete@Ellen I agree. Classes keep getting bigger, teachers are overwhelmed. Underfunded schools, how are they going to be interested living outside of internet fantasy?
There's all kinds of boomer bashing on SM. Everything they don't have, everything wrong with their lives, everything wrong with the government is the fault of boomers who won't just go away and die already.
DeleteCodex
DeleteAh. Seen some of it. There's a kernel of truth to some aspects but it's not one size fits all.
Problem I see with boomers is that many don't care to be engaged when they have the time and wisdom to do so. And yeah I agree that 20yr Olds will have a much harder time buying homes.
Codex@Ellen
ReplyDeleteYou shouldn't feel included in that. Anecdotal story. Relative of mine kids/grandkids is happy about climate change because he doesn't have to shovel as much snow. How selfish is that?
My generation and below would never think or even say that.
Yep, keep 'em ignorant and distracted and they can be easily duped, manipulated and weaponized. And you're Right, Ignorance isn't Bliss, it's just Ignorance and some folks rest in that and won't try to critically think or learn something. I know what I know and I don't know what I just don't know, I think Life is a Series of Learning Experiences so I Hope to never stop Learning something new, more accurate. That said, I grew up in a Family with deep Superstitious Beliefs and a lot of that rubs off on me. Your Curse should scare the rude Waiter actually... there are some things Science has yet to explain and are just some of the Mysteries of the Universe we may never fully know... I'm Okay with that. Kindness and Civility are in short supply, I don't try to Educate anyone unwilling to receive Information, waste of time. Those hungry for Knowledge will seek it actively.
ReplyDeleteCodex
DeleteWhat you said.
I have superstitious friends and family. It works fine because there is mutual respect.
It's when people won't leave me alone that it's problematic.
Fed up bo. Just fed up and tired of venting.