The first time I was invited to a Michelin starred restaurant on a friend's corporate account I selected a main course to compare it to what I already knew. Salmon with mashed potatoes and carrots. I can't recall the industry terminology but remember being underwhelmed.
The salmon was good but not great, the mashed potatoes great but came with spaghetti. Where are the carrots I asked my friend. Turns out the "Spaghetti" was made out of carrots and turnip. I didn't like it. My home made side dish of steamed Asparagus goes better with Salmon. At least to my taste buds. The second time I tried quail. Again underwhelmed. It tasted like chicken and was too much work for five bites of food. Of course the idea is to taste a multi course meal, but the main complaint is that I prefer to actually eat and be satiated, not have a beautiful plated tiny morsel and hungrily wait for the next course.
Is plated fine dining food art? Absolutely.
Have a look at Noma Restaurant desserts. Incredible little sculptural art pieces that I'd rather own as sculptures than eat them. In fact I do not want to eat dessert served on moss, with little branches no matter how pretty.
Like modern fine art it has a conceptual explanation of eating your environment, sustainability juxtaposition of nature food and so on. Food and a philosophical story for 600 dollars.
I also don't want to be confronted with mortality while eating: "the work of art is as ephemeral as life, creation destroyed by eating it".
True. But pretentious.
The movie the Menu written by the writers of the Onion is a very dark satire that doesn't work as mystery thriller or horror but as an expose of this pretentiousness. Ralph Fiennes is amazing as the cult like leader Chef who invites guests at 1200 bucks to taste his creations. He's psychopathic but the lines in the movie are hilarious and relatable.
I've tasted food that was foam (don't like the texture) or gel (flavorful but ugh). "We gel!" Was too funny. The dishes with conceptual names. "Microgreens" that are just sprouts. Inspired by three star Michelin Restaurant in Chicago, Alina messy desert table, is actually called "the mess" in the movie.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qofsdSMuGbg
I wouldn't enjoy eating that, no matter how theatrical.
Nothing in the gastronomy industry escapes this biting satire.Art is commercialized and subjected to immense performance pressures until the genius creator cracks and has a meltdown. Anyone remember Galiano?
It makes a point that none of the people who can afford it really appreciate it. The tech bros who view it as a status symbol. The foodie and staff who worship chef despite the fact that he mistreats them. The conveyor like plating of food with tweezers. Plates that use "drop and drizzle". Various reductions and sauces dropped on a plate with pipettes. This gives you an idea of what to expect.
It's very original and completely insane. But so is the world we live in.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2MZF2IAJWDs
It is so well informed that the 2026 Restaurant theme and trend is flambé. (Dumpsterfire? Everything going to hell?) Hilarious. (Makes sense once you watch it).
Hopefully, we return to tasty stable food soon.
Any restaurant experiences? Please share.
I watched it and thought it was relevant and entertaining.
ReplyDeleteCarl